Chemotherapy is a method of treatment based on the administration to the patient of a cytostatic drug – a pharmacological preparation. The administration may be oral or intravenous.
At NU-MED Center for Diagnostics and Oncology Therapy in Tomaszów Mazowiecki patients are treated in an outpatient mode – as part of the operations of the one-day chemotherapy ward – as well as in inmate mode during a hospitalization. There is a proprietary pharmacy of the Center on site, where cytostatic drugs are produced. An on-site pharmacy facilitates the treatment process and eliminates the risk related with the logistics of delivering drugs from other pharmacies.
A patient’s path at the chemotherapy ward proceeds as follows:
- A consultation at the Oncology Outpatient Clinic (referral not needed but results of heretofore performed diagnostic examinations indicating the possibility of the occurrence of a neoplastic disease are required).
- Assessment of the patient’s eligibility for treatment at the chemotherapy ward (in outpatient or hospitalization mode)
- Development of treatment plan – selection of drugs, determination of drug administration cycles
- Patient’s blood examination, required prior to each drug administration
- Administration of cytostatic drug at the chemotherapy ward
- Following the administration of a drug in an outpatient mode, the patient returns home. In case of a hospitalized patient, the lead physician decides whether to prolong the stay at the hospital or discharge the patient.
The Center in Tomaszów Mazowiecki performs drug prescription programs.